Monday, March 9, 2009

First Camping Trip to San Elijo State Beach


Scott and I took Brock on his 1st camping trip to San Elijo State Beach this past weekend. We joined Crystal and Steve on a little getaway trip. This beach is a little south of Carlsbad (in Encinitas), which is located near our timeshare at the Grand Pacific Palisades. I waved at the hotel as we passed it up for our camping adventure. This was the first trip with all the baby gear. We clearly did not have nearly enough room to haul our stuff, so we jammed the Audi and 1/2 of the Lineberry's car as well. I loved the campground -- nice huge sites to camp in. I am not quite the expert but at least you could get 3-4 tents if needed. The weather was beautiful -- at least while the sun was out, that is. It was quite cold at night. To be specific, the Audi's temp gauge stated that it was 48 degrees when we went for the first car ride at midnight. Poor Brock hated the cold weather, as it was too cold for my little one and he was only content being in the car with the heat. He cried and cried ... and cried. So I drove around at 2:30 and again at 4:30 in order to keep the heat going enough for him to stay sound asleep. Finally, when the sun came out, it made it good enough to go back into the tent. Shame on all of you who told me to dress him warm and it would be fine!! I was freezing and uncomfortable, so I knew he was as well. I did love the location, so I will definitely go again in warmer months or when Scott buys us shelter to travel in (HINT HINT). We toured around the Hotel del Coronado and allowed Brock to play in the sand. I am sad to announce that this is the first time I let him touch the sand. We live at the beach and I never let him out of the stroller. He LOVED it so much he tried putting it into his mouth. We ate at a great 1950's-era cafe before heading home. I wish that we didn't have to cut our trip early, but there was no way I wanted a repeat of that night. Thank you to the Lineberrys for inviting us; it was quite the adventure.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

That sounds so fun except for being cold! It looks so beautiful!

Aimee said...

I bet it was cold. We tried to camp at Carp last month but we slept inside with the little heater on all night. And Nolan was still cold! Looks beautiful though!