Friday, February 25, 2011

My mom's long awaited Surgery

My mom got approved after a lengthy process from Kaiser to have gastric bypass surgery.  We are hopeful that once she sheds 60 lbs she will then be a healthy weight to have her total hip replacement.  It has been a struggle for her to walk in the past few years needing assistance of a walker and in severe pain having no cartilage left on her hip.  About 10 days before surgery my mom fell in her house attempting to pick up Brock's toys and she dislocated two of her ribs. Thankfully the surgeon approved her to move forward with surgery.  A week before surgery her surgeon got sick and need some sort of surgery himself so the office called to reschedule her surgery, but once again thankfully it was still going to be the same day just later in the day.  Her surgery was at Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego.  I was my mom's VSP (very special person).  I slept in her room 3 nights to help her recover while she was in the hospital.  I am so lucky to have in-laws live so close to help take care of Brock while I was attending to my mother and of course Scott helped tremendously.  I am happy to report that at her 6 week appointment she is down 45 lbs.  She asked me not to post any pictures to Facebook but she did not say I couldn't post pictures to my blog.  She has done very well adjusting to her new diet.  I am excited to see my mom become healthy for our family.

This is her Before picture
She used this PVC pipe platform walker in the hospital and it worked out so well she bought one for her house.
This the roll-away bed they let me use to stay in her room



0 comments: